perjantai 11. marraskuuta 2016

Sculpture ideas and attempts

I have sketched possible sculpting ideas a lot, and of course some of them are horses. I have even tried sculpting them, but never made a wire armature and added clay on; I know I have no enough skill for a horse sculpt. Especially when talkin about realistic wholebody sculpt.

Still, just right now I have one traditional scale horse head sculpture waiting to get nose. He's going to be just a head I can put bridles and halters on. And his mouth should be open, what's another problem and reason why I have a pause with that. I haven't photographed him after making a poor armature from wire, but when I write this, he needs only nose and inner mouth parts yet. The sketches seen in the photos are for the sculpt, of course.

I didn't bother to retouch the photos digitally so well, sorry. I personally see things well enough from these. Aaaand... My armature is nothing good to see, just a horse head shaped stack of wire, so, ehm. 

An armature with a sketch I use to make sure I do things rightly.

Another sketch, not yet sure if I sculpt him too.

And my twin, who had sculpted some demons, wanted me to sculpt a demon from this...

...yea, I'm not going to sculpt a demon yet, because this is meant to be just a tack head.


Another sculpt idea, and really only an idea yet, is this galloping akhal-tekke. I wasn't planning it to be a tekke, but later I saw it looks like one. I also made a version of it as the paper I used was so thin and the ballpoint ben doodles were easily seen through it... And now I say that the second result was not the better one, although it should be. The pictures look weird because I photographed them instead of scanning, and that's why I was forced to retouch them in Paint Shop Pro 7 so much to get them look even somewhat nicer. Well. I see, there is a lot of anatomy mistakes what I surely do not want to see in a sculpture if I make one, but they are possible to throw away with better sketching and planning later.

Luckily I have photographed a lot of horse limbs as I have visited one harness race stable (a family member's work), and I then carry a camera everywhere with me. Just for art. Yet if I once decide to print some of my photos and digital redlinings of them, it could be useful with the work room where I custom, make tack and photograph my models.

First sketch. Also made the background pic from this.

Second sketch.

There are the papers from where I photographed differently that tekke sketch. The upper paper is filled with sculpt ideas and sketches alone, and I also tried to plan how to make an armature what works. I have nevrr made one but I should, because if not, I continue to sketch armatures again and again, without never knowing surely what of them could work well enough for me. And what scale... In the right lower corner is an armature plan I drew to fit to the tekke sketch.

The texts are in Finnish there, also, so no wonder if anyone can't understand them. They're nothing interesting; the rearing horse just has the tail sculpted to be a stand for him and at the tekke armature I am pondering how a horse head should be before sculpting, to make it easier to do right with clay then.  

This is the quality of badly photographed white paper. Without much digital retouching.

One armature sketch, skulls, tekke... And I tried to draw Schleich -style muzzle. Failed.


It asks so much sense of anatomy and knowledge about clays to sculpt anything. I have sculpted horse sonly in custom models, so a wholebody things are really unknown idea for me. I still like checking other modeller's tutorials and sculpt project photos, as I really am interested of being a sculptor - and being good with it.

From all real animals, I have sculpted wholebody only cats and rats. Because rats feel too easy, and still hard so make from typical airdry clays like DAS and others, I am planning to start sculpting more believable cats now. Silk clay didn't work with cats well enough since I can't say the cats I made are any kind of realistically cute, and the anatomy was a problem since silk clay isn't so fadeable like other clays usually... And the best, I have real cats here, so I have no lack of reference material!

But back to horses... I now understood that I should once create a blogtext who just shows my doodles, but I am not going to fill this with them, no no no. Just one text here and there, all else is drowning to model horse stuff, as I want this blog to.

Also someones can possibly see from my sketches where I have got influences ages ago from, when I was yet a brat, and found model horse hobby. The ones I mean are Finnish model horsiers, what I can call to be masters in this hobby and sculpting, so no wonder that they are quite role models for me too.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Think before the comment.