lauantai 4. helmikuuta 2017

I have a Running Stallion copy

Because I can't continue to the doll texts, but I still need to publish something here, I think it's a good idea to show readers my weird Breyer copy.

He's a Running Stallion copy, looks really cheap and is badly injured. The tail is broken, and I'm not surprised; the plastic he is made from is really hard and easily broken.


Breyer's Running Stallion is not the most interesting mold to me, so yet less nice is to have a cheap fake one. I have no idea of his history, but I think he had been tailless already when I got him ages ago.

Look at it, no word about anatomy. I can't understand how anyone had molded (?) this. Also the limb positions look stupid to me, it's one of the most difficult things in horses to draw and sculpt to look good. It also puts me to ponder, why anyone wanted to copy just that less realistic Breyer mold?


No details... Not even in color. He is also unsteady, needs careful handling when photograhing. My dolls still have already ridden him few times.

Big man, small horse. The doll, Hupi, is naked because I lost my nerves when his stupid vest didn't work. 


Once I maybe thought that this, as a cheap and ugly, broken model, is a good base for practice customizing, and I then started to resculpt his face. But guess, for me the base model should be good enough to sculpt; I don't know how and why it is that, but I can't sculpt well on a ugly model. Especially these with hard plastic surface, nothing for the clay to stick to, are not inspiring for me. They have no possibility in my hands.


But alone as models they are OK, although I never stop seeing their ugliness.

When this year started, I mauled the clays off from his nose. That was all I needed to do - luckily, because I don't understand why everyone there somewhere do whine how 'cheap airdry clays do not stick well' - bllll, I needed all my armpowers and pliers to remove that from a clear plastic horse's nose!

His head is ugly, ugly, ugly, as the whole horse at all. It's also wonky, what's yet less awesome if  planning to custom it.


The left ear doesn't allow crownpieces to be realistically, but luckily any strap doesn't hide his eyes still.

Then I understood... As nothing is absolutely symmetric... Then there are some diseases and deformities who can cause weird faces and body parts who don't match. OK. This horse can have that.



Anyway, I stop judging the horse here. Now, when I have thought him a bit, I noticed that it's in fact almost nice model; not in sculpt quality, but as individual. He has his own story, and as he's that ugly and deformed, I am ready to ponder some backstory for him then. Real horses can have wonky faces, so, yes, this one can have too.

I called the horse "Otto", as it's generic, normal Finnish male name. Not too great for a model horse that's not so good to see. The name really contains orange (those 'O's), but they also seemingly match his spots.
I have already at least three stallions in trad scale, and only one mare, so it was time to have a gelding among them. This does not look like a stallion to me, when checking the needed details, so we can think him as a gelding.

At the end I found Otto an owner, it's another deformed ugly thingy; Kippura, the blazed black dumbo rat girl. She has different sized eyes and she's really far away from "cute". But she also has interesting personality, and she has a habit to help and adopt rescue animals. So it's natural that she also adopts an ugly horse who no one else wants to give a home for.

First photo where Kippura owned Otto.


Orange rope worked better...

One nice thing I always enjoy with model horses is to make or find their 'personal' tack. Mostly I mean halters and ropes. Otto got this needless cream-green -colored yarn halter with black crownpiece to be his own. It's not too great, but it's OK for a ugly model horse to wear. Another thing is that the halter really works, no matter is it on a great looking Breyer or some cheap toy horse - it works and has good measurements.



Sooo... Finally one horse found it's place to my small traditional scale herd (I really can't understand how so many of you there somewhere can own so much Breyers!). I also have one huge traditional CM model under resculpting now. It's also really ugly, originally, but it was surprisingly easy to sculpt away and now he almost looks like a horse. More about him later!

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti

Think before the comment.